Any building which is intended to be constructed as a green building is assessed based on its performance, which is predicted in advance through various calculations and undertakings, during the entire life cycle of building, i.e. from the stage of inception till operation. The various stages where a project is evaluated by the certifying agency are
1. Evaluation at pre-construction stage
2. Building design and planning stage
3. Construction stage
4. Operation and maintenance stage.
Every owner or developer of the building has to make sure of his intentions to construct a building with green certification and chose the agency from whom he intends to obtain certification. The project has to pass through following stages:
1. The project has to be registered with the certifying agency. Once the project is registered, the certifying agency imparts complete training on the criterias, procedure to be followed and the list of documents to be submitted by the client from time to time.
2. A certified professional is engaged by the client to undertake coordination work with the certifying agency after collecting various inputs from consultants who are responsible to produce documents in the desired format.
3. The certifying agency refers the project to "Third party evaluators" for evaluation of documents who certify the number of points likely to be achieved for the project and also comments on specific criteria, if required.
4. The client shall then incorporate the changes, suggestions given by evaluator and agency team and make final submission.
5. Once the project is evaluated by Third party evaluators', the certifying agency does the site audit of project and awards the final rating.
6. The agency representatives visit the site and audit the compliance with various criterions.
7. Once the project is completed, it is evaluated by the committee of certifying agency for compliance of all points related to pre-construction and construction phase according to provisional rating allotted. The final rating is awarded which is valid for a period of few years from the commissioning of building. During this period, the compliance with energy and water consumption requirements and other parameters is recorded.
It is thus very essential for the owner of the building to strictly adhere to the guidelines and regulations of the certifying agency as little slackness can result in downgrading or no rating being imparted at all.
PD Consulting Engineers Pvt. Ltd. Transforming construction for a new generation "Cost, Quality & Project management"
QS & Cost management, Bill Checking / Audit, Technical Auditors, Valuation, Contract and Tendering, Project Management, Project Planning, Quality Control, Consulting Engineers, Structural Consultancy
Civil N Construction Blog